Thursday, February 16, 2012

A Good Place to Track Down Your Local Elected Official

Last night I had the opportunity to attend the Downers Grove Chamber of Commerce Ribbon Cutting Ceremony and Meet the Candidate Night.  I was amazed at the amount of local elected officials that were in attendance.

Senator Kirk Dillard, Senator Christine Rodogno, Senator Ron Sandack, State Representatives Mike Connelly, Patti Bellock, State Treasurer Dan Rutherford,  Bob Grogan DuPage Auditor, Brian Krajewski DuPage County Board Member District 3 and of course Mayor Tully and I saw at least one Village Commissioner.

The event was nice enough, although I left early, my youngest child was home sick, and after a few minutes of small talk, I had enough.

On the way home I was thinking, wow, there were a lot of elected officials at the Chamber Event.   Then I started thinking about how hard it is for the tax paying resident to meet with our elected officials.

For example I have been working with my neighbors on an issue that will change the character of my neighborhood.  I sent letters to the DuPage County Board Members in District 2 & 3 and DuPage County Board Chairman Dan Cronin regarding this issue and not to my surprise not one member of the DuPage County Board nor the Chairman has responded, nor do I expect them to.

Even when we were trying to get a safe water supply it was very difficult to get our local elected officials attention.  They did come around but it took many phone calls, letters and petitions.

As for me I would much rather sit in my neighbors homes and help them with an issue.  I would much rather spend time with the folks at DuPage United who are proactive in making DuPage County a better place for all and are committed to making sure our elected officials are held accountable.

I most likely won't be attending any future chamber events as this is not my style but for anyone who is trying to get a hold of their elected officials try attending the next Chamber of Commerce event I can guarantee that many of your local elected officials will be there.
                  

No comments:

Post a Comment